Discover 24 days of festive content – What lies behind door number 23?
Happy Christmas eve eve everyone!
To help everyone out there who needs to make something sweet last minute, here’s an old family recipe for crunchy flat bites! Super easy and it always goes down a storm!
Farkey crunchy flat bites!
(all of these measurements are approximate, each batch turns out different.)
- 7 oz – caster sugar
- Roughly 8 tablespoons of golden syrup
- 3 – 4 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 15 – 20 squares of chocolate
Method – makes enough for 9 people
(For 1-5 people half the mixture)
- Combine sugar and syrup in a small to medium saucepan. (You shouldn’t stir the mix once the pan is on the heat.)
- Place pan on a low to medium heat/flame and let mixture melt. You want the syrup and sugar to turn into a bubbling mixture rich golden in colour – this usually takes 2-5 minutes(depending on the heat).
- Once it reaches a maple brown colour, take off the heat. Then whisk in bicarbonate of soda and watch the magic happen! Immediately dump out onto a piece of baking parchment.(Be sure to pour and not scrape as much of the mixture as you can)
- Leave until set(Can take anywhere between 10-20 mins) and then bash into desired splintered sizes.
- Set aside and melt chocolate, being careful not to overcook or burn.
- Dip largest pieces into chocolate and leave to set on aluminum foil.
- Share and enjoy!
(As a bonus here’s our cat trying to be seductive.)